Home of formerly the largest American-owned brewery in NJ.
- In order to spread Theocracy, the Puritans of New Haven, Connecticut sent Robert Treat and John Gregory to New Jersey to establish a settlement. In May of 1666 they purchased land from the Hackensack Indians for goods including gunpowder, one hundred bars of lead, twenty axes, twenty coats, guns, pistols, swords, kettles, blankets, knives, beer, and ten pairs of breeches, in total valuing about $750.
- The original name for Newark was Pesayak Towne, and it was later renamed to New Milford. There are two stories concerning the renaming of the area to Newark. The first is that it was renamed because of Reverend Abraham Pierson, who came over from Newark-on-Trent England. The other story is that the name came from a Biblical reference related to the Theocratic Puritans – “New Ark”.
- The first public electric lamps in the United States were in Military Park in Newark.
- The Ballantine Brewery was founded in 1840, and by the 1880’s it spanned over 12 acres, making it the 6th largest brewery in the nation.
LATEST SUGGESTIONS FOR EXIT 14
IMAGE GALLERY PHOTOS FOR EXIT 14